Wednesday, July 9, 2008

A Trip to the Copperbelt

This past weekend was a holiday in Zambia. Monday was "Heroes Day" & Tuesday was "Unity Day". I decided to take advantage of the long weekend by going up to the Copperbelt - the area of Zambia right next to the DRC. I tried my best to figure out how to get across the border into the DRC, but due to the lack of roads, I had to stay safely in Ndola. I'm sure my mother is very happy about that.

The Copperbelt is the dark green part

We decided to take the 6am bus up b/c most buses in Zambia only leave when they are full. The earlier buses tend to fill up faster so everyone said to take that one. I dragged myself out of bed at 5am & got to the station by 6am only to sit on the bus for almost 2 hours before leaving. There were about 3 empty seats in the back & the driver was nowhere to be seen. Around 7:30am the other passengers started getting restless & yelling out the windows of the bus at the bus company employees. We finally left around 8am & after driving 10 minutes pulled into a gas station to get gas. Why didn't they get gas before? Good question.

Once we actually got moving the trip was fairly smooth. Jacquee & I were sitting next to a Zambian girl who thought we were hilarious every time we tried to used Nyanja or Tongan. When we actually made it to Ndola, my friend Frank picked us up & took us to his house. He works for ZEHRP in Ndola & has been there for 3 years. He let us stay at his house all weekend & was a fabulous host. More to come.

No comments: