Friday, June 6, 2008

yes, i know i'm a hypocrite

I really hate sleeping under mosquito nets. Since it is cool & dry in Zambia right now I thought I'd be okay without one. I have windows with screens & sleep under blankets. I explained this to my little brother last week. I told him that I would wait till I got a bite before putting up my net b/c I didn't see the point of using one if there were no mosquitoes out. In response he said "Ummmm, Brooke, aren't you there to teach people to prevent disease & not wait till they get sick to start protecting themselves?"

Well, here it is, my first mosquito bite:

Note how its on my finger b/c the rest of my body was under the covers while I slept - so I was kinda protecting myself, right?

The same day I was bitten, I went to a management meeting at work & the lab manager mentioned that they had had 6 positive malaria smears that day. So now I sleep under a net. *sigh*

Here I am, being a model public health student, sleeping under my net. Yay.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

told you

Kyle said...

I never slept under a net in Ghana. I don't think mosquitos like me because everyone else got bit. Hmm. Good for me I guess!!