Monday, May 19, 2008

getting ready to go

There are lots of things to do before leaving the country for 3 months. One of these is letting your bank know where you'll be traveling so they won't think your ATM card has been stolen. Here's a snippet of my conversation from when I called my bank earlier today:

I'll be in London & Zambia & possibly some other African countries
Okay, London & what was the other one?
Zambia.
Ummmm, can you spell that?
Z-A-M-B-I-A.
Oh, I've never heard of that place.
It is in Africa & I may travel to some other African countries as well. Do you need all of them?
Okay, so you said you'd be in France & Zam-... I don't know how to say that.
Ummm, what? (thinking: When did London move to France?)
What countries will you be in?
Great Britain, Zambia, South Africa, & possibly Botswana, Zimbabwe, & Namibia
Hmmm, I just going to put Africa
Okay, thanks

5 comments:

zinzib said...

hilarious!!

zinzi

Jake said...

Gosh. Africa is so five years ago. Why don't you pick a place more exciting?

Perhaps Tajikistan. It's the new Africa.

Megan said...

Maybe the bank felt sorry for Miss Teen SC and decided to give her a summer internship.

michelle manning said...

Oh Brookie! I have wondered about you and how you are doing! I was so happy to see your name in my inbox! I know that all sounds so nerdy, but I really am so happy to get some news of you. Wow - Zambia! Can I come too? You are living my dream - working with HIV in Africa. I'm so glad you will be keeping us updated. I want to hear all about your adventures, the things you learn, the people you meet, the experiences you have. I think I am going to have to go look at HIV rates in that part of Africa. Are you working with an organization? Will you be there "alone" doing your research? When you get a minutes I would love to hear more.

much love,
Michelle (Perry) Manning

Sara said...

Yay! I love blogs! Yours is now on my blogroll!

Gooooo, Africa! :)