The only other African city I've spent time in is Nairobi. I did not expect Lusaka to be quite as developed as Nairobi, but I also did not expect what it has turned out to be. It almost reminds me more of the tiny village I worked in in Western Kenya, just multiplied out in all directions, then the capital city of a country. I think I saw a few buildings in the city center that were tall so hopefully I'll find the more urban areas. The other Emory student here, J, says there is a strip mall & a movie theater, but that is about it. Good thing I brought some books.
Despite being 8000 miles from Atlanta, one of the first things I saw leaving the airport was a large modern Coke advertisement. A bit further down the road was the CDC/NIH research site. It is like location deja vu.
My flat is nice - 3 bedrooms, power when it works, hot water, internet, & a lady that cleans. It is also near a mosque so we get to hear the call to pray 5 times a day. Everytime it starts I think it is a tornado siren, but then the man starts talking & I realize what it is. I'm hoping I'll learn to sleep through the earliest one.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Glad you made it safely. Can't wait for pictures. Enjoy the adventure!
"Oceans apart day after day
And I slowly go insane
I hear your voice on the line
But it doesn't stop the pain
If I see you next to never
How can we say forever
Wherever you go
Whatever you do
I will be right here waiting for you
Whatever it takes
Or how my heart breaks
I will be right here waiting for you"
Actually, I will NOT be right here waiting for you. I am going to Indonesia, but I thought I should get that song stuck in your head. Enjoy.
Post a Comment